The neighborhood of Wallabout was recently designated as a landmark district largely because it contains one of the greatest concentration of remaining pre-Civil War wood-frame houses in NYC.
According to Brownstoner; these two “vernacular Greek Revival” design houses were built by carpenter Richard Pease in 1849 (Vernacular signifying that the house was designed and built by someone who was not a trained architect).
The history of the Wallabout can be traced back to 1624 when a group of Walloons, French-speaking Protestants from what is now Belgium, settled along the shore of the East River bay and named it Waal-bogt. Since the flatlands along the river were not considered to be as prestigious as the uplands several blocks south, much of the construction in Wallabout continued to be wood houses rather than the more expensive brick or brownstone dwellings found in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill.
view from the Navy Yard 1850s
(archival images NYPL)