The Crocheron family lived on the edge of Little Neck Bay for centuries. The first family member to live in the area was John Crocheron, a farmer whose will dates from 1695. The “Old Crocheron House” built in 1830 on the shores of Little Neck Bay became a favorite site for Tammany Hall picnics and clambakes. The infamous William “Boss” Tweed, head of the corrupt political machine, took refuge here after he escaped from the Ludlow Street Jail in 1875. Tweed had been arrested and tried on corruption charges, but his extensive connections allowed him to escape to Spain. He was arrested by the Spanish police and returned to prison in New York where he died of pneumonia in his cell in 1878.
The house burned down in 1907, and the estate remained unused and undeveloped. In 1924, the City of New York bought the land and another 45 acres and drew up plans to build a park on the consolidated property. By 1936, the City had turned the area into a park with picnic grounds, winding walks, an enlarged lake for wintertime skating, and thousands of trees.