MacNeil Park on the East River
In 1930 the City of New York acquired the mansion and its grounds for a public park. The waterfront property was known alternatively as Chisholm Park (a variant spelling of the Chisolm family’s name) and College Point Shore Front Park. Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia made the Chisolm mansion his summer City Hall in 1937. The old mansion was razed between 1939 and 1941.
In 1966 Mayor John V. Lindsay renamed the park for Hermon Atkins MacNeil (1866-1947), a College Point resident and nationally renowned sculptor.
MacNeil is most famous for the Standing Liberty quarter, which was first minted in 1916. His sculptures can be seen in four of the five boroughs in New York City, including Washington as Commander-in-Chief at the base of the Washington Square Arch in Manhattan; a cast of his Sun Vow in the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn; the Flushing War Memorial in Queens; and four busts in the Hall of Fame of Great Americans at Bronx Community College. His other notable works include the figures on the eastern pediment of the Supreme Court Building in Washington D.C. and Out From Chaos Came the Dawn, which earned him the honor of being the first American to receive the Prix de Rome.